By Jennifer McDougall
How we feel and the circumstances of our lives can depend a lot on who we choose to surround ourselves with. The crucial question is asking yourself whether or not the people in your life (right now) are actually lifting you up and inspiring you, or are they dragging you down, complicating your life and putting you in dangerous or uncomfortable situations?
Take a moment and reflect on recent events with a friend or family member and find out whether or not they are lifting you up or bringing you down. Ask yourself these following questions to help make it clear in your mind if these influences are for your best interest, or the worst for your personal well-being.
- Do you feel inspired with new thoughts and ideas after spending time with this person, or do you feel drained and tired just from being around them?
- Do they listen to you as you speak, or do they interrupt you without hearing what you have to say?
- Do you trust this person, or do you feel uneasy about opening up to them because you fear they may use what you say to them against you to benefit themselves in one way or another?
- Do they compliment you on simple things and make you feel worthy, or do they belittle you making you feel like you’re not good enough, smart enough, or good looking enough?
- Do you feel safe around this person, or do they put you in uncomfortable and dangerous situations?
- Have you actually wondered why you continue to involve this person in your life because they don’t bring you much joy, or offer any kind of fun, excitement, or wisdom…?
- Do you feel a bit manipulated or disrespected by this person or this group of people?
After answering these questions and keeping a specific person, or group in mind, it should be clear to you who is lifting you up and who is dragging you down. The truth is that we all have someone in our lives that drag us down. The best way you can make life more enjoyable, peaceful, and less problematic is by distancing yourself from these people, and the situations they create.
Call Passages Addiction Treatment Center at (888) 397-0112, for information about getting the treatment you need for a drug or alcohol related addiction today.
Image via We Heart It