By Jennifer McDougall
“You can be happy if you are willing to let go of your past and leave yourself unencumbered so you can fly freely.”
― Chris Prentiss, Zen and the Art of Happiness
One of the best ways to overcome the depressive state you’re currently in is to look at what it is that is the driving force of those emotions. Is it stressing from work or financial issues? Is it a relationship that is draining you or not giving you what you need to thrive? Is it a recent loss of someone you loved or cared for? To overcome anything, we must first look at what is causing what we are feeling.
Depression leads many people to do many self-destructive things in their lives that that later down the road regret. It can drag you down to the depths of despair and leave you feeling hallow and alone. There may be days you find yourself not sleeping or sleeping too much; not eating or eating to much. Depression also affects how much or little we have the drive to socialize with other people, even those we love. Sometimes there is no explanation to why you feel sad, you just do. We understand that, but we want to help you get out of this slump and start living life in a more inspiring and uplifting way so that you can be the remarkable person you were created to be.
Here are 10 simple tricks to help you get up, get motivated, and start embracing life again.
- Take a long hot bath before bed with lavender oils and Epson salt to help relax your mind and body and detoxify your organs.
- Wake up early no matter what day it is and go for a walk, swim, hike, or bike ride.
- Remind yourself you are a strong individual who is loved and has so much grace and talent to give to this world.
- Eat proper meals and drink plenty of water so your body gets all of the nutrients it needs to stay healthy.
- Give thanks to those who are good to you. Give thanks to yourself because you offer so much light to this world. Give thanks for a beautiful day no matter if there is rain or sunshine. Just give thanks.
- Listen to uplifting music at home or in the car
- Avoid any consumption of drugs and alcohol because these things on lead to making poor choices
- Distance yourself from anyone who makes you feel less than, who discourages you, who doubts you, who is jealous of you, and who tries to rain on your beautiful day. Just smile and walk away.
- Pick up an enchanting novel that will let your mind wander and expand your imagination
- Give yourself a break. Be kind to yourself and let yourself rest when you’re worn out, drained or just need a day off. It’s okay. You must be good to yourself. This must be a priority.
Call Passages Addiction Treatment Centers today if you or a loved one is battling an addiction to drugs and/or alcohol. Our admissions department is available 24/7 and can be reached directly by calling our toll-free number at (888) 397-0112. We look forward to speaking with you soon.
Passages, Where Addiction Ends and Life Begins™
Image via We Heart It