By Jennifer McDougall
Even emotional pain makes a person feel paralyzed with hopelessness and fear. The impulses driven by anxiety and depression can make someone feel like they’re in the middle of a hurricane. Being still and staring off into thin air happens too often than this person is probably willing to admit. It’s a troubling and painful phase. Yes, it is a phase, because (with our help) you will overcome this all very soon. Sometimes, it feels like there is no end in sight. What this person needs is encouraging support, love, and genuine care. A simple phone call or text to help cheer them up to let them know you’re thinking of them is a great idea. They may have a lack of motivation, physical pain, and trouble sleeping or not wanting to get out of bed or leave the house.
When someone goes through emotional pain or trauma one of the first things they usually want to do is isolate which in many cases leads to substance abuse. Healing emotional pain is possible although many people struggle to find a healthy relief. At Passages, we want you to know there is hope.
“One thing you can’t hide – is when you’re crippled inside.”
― John Lennon
Here are 10 helpful tips to healing emotional pain:
- Acknowledge what is causing your pain
- Mindful meditate and breathe while being present with yourself
- Avoid drugs, alcohol, and nicotine as these substances alter the consciousness which dilutes your ability to think clearly, make good choices, and live a healthy and stable lifestyle
- Talk to a professional therapist who can help guide you through a holistic healing process to overcome your pain and fears
- Resolve and unsettled issues causing disruption in your life
- Prioritize self-care
- Accept where you are in at life and remind yourself that everything is temporary– our current condition is not permanent
- Forgive yourself rather than beating yourself up or blaming yourself
- Practice being open and honest with your friends and family (ones you can trust) about your current emotions and what it is bringing on the pain you’re feeling
- Find a healthy workout routine to release stress and tension
How to Contact Passages Malibu
Call Passages Addiction Treatment Centers today if you or a loved one is battling an addiction to drugs and/or alcohol. Our admissions department is available 24/7 and can be reached directly by calling our toll-free number at (888) 397-0112. We look forward to speaking with you soon.