There are several early warning signs to look out for if you believe yourself or someone you know is starting on the path towards alcohol abuse. According to the National Institute for Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, 17.6 million Americans abuse alcohol or are full-blown alcoholics. The death toll is upwards of 100,000 people per year.
Luckily, there are early signs of alcohol abuse that, if caught early on, could deter a full-blown addiction. Some key signs to look out for are:
- Increased tolerance to alcohol (you have to drink more and more to feel the same effects)
- Withdrawal symptoms and cravings when drinking is stopped
- Blacking out while drinking
- A drastic change in demeanor
- Personality or mood while drinking (such as becoming angry or violent)
- Drinking and driving, missing work, or other responsibilities in favor of drinking.
- Lying to others about drinking or other deceptive behaviors
- Sneaking drinks
- Displaying a general attitude that drinking is a priority
The key thing to remember with all of these symptoms is that if the individual notices and acknowledges these problems yet continues to drink despite the consequences, there is a definite dependency issue. If you or someone you know is exhibiting these early alcohol abuse signs, Passages Malibu can help.
How to Contact Passages
Call Passages Addiction Treatment Centers today if you or a loved one is battling an addiction to drugs and/or alcohol. Our admissions department is available 24/7 and can be reached directly by calling our toll-free number (888) 397-0112. We look forward to speaking with you soon.