By Jennifer McDougall
Self-care is the foundation for a successful sober lifestyle. It allows us to make better choices, achieve our goals, and bring more meaning into our lives. But how do you know if your version of self-care is working? In this post, we’ll explore some of the best ways to ensure that you’re practicing healthy self-care while also ensuring that your efforts aren’t just keeping this new lifestyle afloat—they’re making it soar!
Stand by your boundaries
When you’re new to sobriety, knowing what boundaries to set up and how to enforce them can be hard. At the same time, it’s extremely important to create a safe environment for yourself so you can focus on your recovery goals.
It’s crucial to understand what boundaries are and why they’re needed in sobriety. Boundaries are limits that protect us from harmful influences. They also help us savor our energy for meaningful thoughts and activities.
What Are Boundaries?
Boundaries are the lines between “me” and “not me.” They define our personal space and tell others what is acceptable behavior. When we have clear boundaries, we feel safe enough to express ourselves honestly but also assertive enough to say no when necessary. We don’t allow others to cross those lines when they don’t respect them, which makes us feel confident in ourselves and our ability to take care of ourselves despite what others think or do.
Treat Your Body Right
It’s essential to give your body the care it deserves. While some self-care practices might be more effective, the most important thing is taking care of your body and giving yourself what you need. You should also be aware of ways your lifestyle may negatively affect your health and try to make changes if necessary. Here are some suggestions on how to take care of yourself and live a healthy life:
- Sleep well
- Exercise regularly
- Eat a balanced diet (not too much or too little)
- Take time for relaxation (e.g., meditating)
- Use skin care products regularly
- Get regular dental checkups/cleanings as needed
Self-care is integral to living a sober lifestyle because everyone has different needs when it comes down to looking after themselves physically and mentally–and this can change over time depending on various circumstances like age or life stage.
Enjoy the Arts
While it’s important to maintain friendships, there are other ways to enjoy your time and make new connections. Here are some activities that can help you feel engaged and productive:
- Theater – Find a local theater or improv group and see live performances. Again, you don’t have to be an expert in the arts, but even if you sit back and enjoy yourself, this could be something that gives you pleasure when you might otherwise feel alone.
- Art gallery – If museums aren’t your thing, try going to an art gallery with friends or on your own. You’ll have the opportunity to engage with the work of different artists while meeting new people at the same time.
- Comedy club – Even if comedy isn’t usually your thing, a comedy club is a great place to enjoy a live event with friends and share good vibes while laughing the night away.
Practice Meditation and Mindfulness
Meditation and mindfulness are great for helping you relax, calm your mind, focus on the present moment and be mindful. These practices can provide a tremendous benefit to anyone who practices them.
Meditation is a mental exercise that helps you focus on one thing, such as your breath or body. It’s common for people to think of meditation as sitting still with eyes closed in silence, but that’s just one way of meditating—you can also do walking or shower meditation.
Mindfulness is more general than meditation because it refers to paying attention without judgment in whatever activity. It’s all about being aware of what’s happening around you without getting caught up in the thoughts that pop up in your head.
Fill Your Life to the Brim with Love
Love is an essential thing in the world. So as you begin your sober lifestyle, you must fill your life with as much love as possible. Love yourself and others unconditionally. Love your work and hobbies, as well as your family and friends. Treat yourself to something nice daily—a massage, bubble bath, or a walk on the beach could be quite soothing after a long day at work or school.
No matter what self-care routine works best for you, remember that taking care of yourself should always be a priority!
You can build a life you love without having to reach for something to numb yourself.
- Get out of your head, and connect with your body. Meditation is a great way to do this.
- Do fun things that make you feel good about yourself, like learning a new skill or taking a dance class.
- Learn how to live mindfully—be aware of what is happening in the here and now instead of letting your brain dwell on past events or future anxieties.
- Practice gratitude daily by writing down three things each day that make you happy. This helps you remember the good things in your life and keep them at the forefront of your mind.
Self-care is the key to a happy and healthy life. You may think that this means you need to spend a lot of money on products or services, but most of these things can be done at home using what you already have. Take some time to explore these ideas and find which ones work for you.
Non-12-Step Addiction Rehab at Passages
Passages Malibu is an alternative to traditional rehab that provides a holistic, client-centered approach to addiction treatment. Find lasting healing through our model of care and experiential therapies. You will uncover the root causes of your addiction, and we will provide you with tools for lifelong sobriety and change. We can help you turn your life around and find hope again. Call (888) 397-0112 today for more information.