By Jennifer McDougall
Sometimes we slip into a rut, where life feels less than exciting and maybe a bit too mundane. What can you do to turn up the wick and liven up your burnt-out routine? At Passages, we encourage you step out of your comfort zone and shake up your routine so that you can thrive in life—without the use of drugs and alcohol. If you are someone who feels their life is not all that exciting, this article is for you.
Getting started, let’s evaluate how you are spending your down time. When you get home from work, or have free time at any given point during the day, what are you doing during that time? Are you taking the opportunity to learn something new or pick up a gratifying hobby? Have you gone anywhere different; away from your standard day-to-today stomping ground?
These are some of the questions you need to first ask yourself if you’re feeling a bit grey, or that you’re in a bit of a rut.
Maybe you are lacking social interaction. Maybe your motivation is at an all-time low. Maybe you have way too much quiet time and not enough courage to put forth the effort in making a change. If so, don’t feel hopeless. There are many things you can do to spice up your life and drive fuel to your inner flame. All it takes are a few changes; maybe even a strong dose of bravery to shake things up. Trust me, this dullness you’re feeling is only temporary—it will pass when you choose to do something about it. Within only 24 hours, with the power you have within yourself, you can begin living a life that is fulfilling and way more exciting.
- Shake up your morning routine a couple days a week. Starting the day off differently every so often will help increase your flow of creativity and motivation. Start by planning ahead the night before with 3 major key things you would like to accomplish before lunch time the next day.
- Host an event. It could be at your house, at a park, or a venue nearby. Invite friends and family or get involved with com to schedule something to involve the community and like-minded people who would be interested in attending.
- Get a make-over or a fresh new look that will have you feeling bold and confident. We don’t recommend taking drastic measures as this could affect your mental and emotional wellbeing. DO make a few minor adjustments to improve your look.
- Get out of the house. If you work from home, go work from a coffee shop, library, or park where you are around other people. Sign up for a fitness class or local sporting team to be a part of. Step out of your comfort zone.
- Go someplace locally that you’ve never been before, such as an art gallery, museum, book store, animal shelter, or park.
- Plan a trip and explore this incredible planet we are so fortunate to live on.
- Try a new recipe and invite some friends over for a sober dinner party.
- Go to a rock concert.
- Move around your furniture to mix up your living space a bit. Maybe add some fun lighting or buy a new piece of art.
- Take time to forgive yourself when you’re feeling bored. This is a sign of depression in which you need to look at your current circumstances and adjust your outlook. Remind yourself how fortunate you are to have the life you do. Make changes when necessary, but don’t beat yourself down with negative feelings of regret.
Call Passages Addiction Treatment Centers today if you or a loved one is battling an addiction to drugs and/or alcohol. Our admissions department is available 24/7 and can be reached directly by calling our toll-free number at (888) 397-0112. We look forward to speaking with you soon.
Passages, Where Addiction Ends and Life Begins™
Follow Passages Malibu on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Image via We Heart It