By Jennifer McDougall
“Emotion can be the enemy, if you give in to your emotion, you lose yourself. You must be at one with your emotions because the body always follows the mind.”
Frustration over emotions may suggest than an individual lacks emotional intelligence. If you are someone who gets stressed out easily, have difficulty asserting yourself, quickly make assumptions, hold grudges or oftentimes feel misunderstood, it could be time to begin working on improving your emotional intelligence (EQ).
After decades of research, medical scientists are now pointing to evidence that sets star performers apart from others. Those who have shown strong characteristics of high EQ oftentimes excel far beyond their colleagues and peers.
Did you know that there are four core skills that an emotionally intelligent person has?
- Manages to be opened minded to how one is feeling and integrates those emotions into decisions and actions
- Ability to identify the feelings of yourself and others
- Uses feelings to guide through thoughts and reasoning in yourself and others
- Understands that feelings might influence change as events develop and unfold
Here are 10 critical ways to drastically improve your ability to be emotionally intelligent.
- Be mindful of your reaction to any and every event that occurs
- Take a deep breath and pause before responding, whether or not the situation causes you to be happy, sad, excited, or angry. Always pause.
- Ask yourself “Why” (Why does this person feel that way? Why does this make me feel the way it does?)
- Rather than taking offense to criticism, explore what you can learn from it
- Keep a journal to accurately gauge your thoughts, feelings, and reactions to how you deal with events that arise in your life
- Understand what it is that motivates and use it to push you
- Maintain a healthy diet
- Channel your energy into something productive and positive
- Set personal and professional goals daily. Accomplishing goals increases confidence.
- Bounce back from adversity by letting go, not blaming others, and dive into creative projects
How to Contact Passages Addiction Treatment Centers:
Call Passages Addiction Treatment Centers today if you or a loved one is battling an addiction to drugs and alcohol. Our admissions department is available 24/7 and can be reached directly by calling our toll-free number at (888) 397-0112. We look forward to speaking with you soon.