By Jennifer McDougall
We know by now that drugs and alcohol are not the answers to our problems. In fact, they just complicate things and make us feel worse than we did before. So here are 21 alternative ways to help manage the pain you’re feeling:
- Acupuncture treatment by a professional
- Avoid the use of drugs and alcohol.
- Learn to take control of stress.
- Low impact exercises 30-60 minutes a day such as yoga, Tai Chi, walking, swimming or scenic hiking
- Write in a private journal every day.
- Avoid cigarettes and nicotine.
- Take a scenic drive.
- Eat healthy foods regularly (lots of omega-3, and whole grains)
- Drink plenty of water every day.
- Watch a funny movie and allow yourself to laugh
- Read an insightful and thought-provoking book or novel
- Listen to relaxing music.
- Talk to close friends and family members over a meal or cup of tea.
- Indulge in a 20-30 minute warm lavender infused bath with soft lights and music before bedtime.
- Hypnosis and guided imagery
- Guided Meditation or meditation of your choice twice a day
- 20 seconds deep breathing exercises
- Herbal remedies and supplements
- Massage therapy
- Rest and be sure you’re getting enough sleep (listen to your body).
Call Passages Addiction Treatment Centers today if you or a loved one is battling an addiction to drugs and/or alcohol. Our admissions department is available 24/7 and can be reached directly by calling our toll-free number at (888) 397-0112. We look forward to speaking with you soon.
Passages, Where Addiction Ends and Life Begins™
Image via Pixabay