By Jennifer McDougall
Congratulations on making the decision to go to residential treatment for your substance abuse related issues. We know this was not an easy choice. It takes a lot of courage to admit your shortcomings and commit to changing your life for the better. While you get ready to embark on your journey to and through treatment, we would like to encourage you to keep the following things in mind so you can fully be prepared for rehab; making the very most out of your inpatient treatment care.
How to Prepare for Inpatient Rehab
- Be open with your friends, family and those you trust to let them know where you will be. Be clear to set boundaries so they understand you will be focusing on healing during this time.
- Only pack what you need (clothes, socks, shoes, a journal, swimsuit, hairbrush, cell phone, laptop, headphones, and a couple books to read in your spare time). At Passages, we will provide you with all the items we do and do not allow before being admitted into the facility for treatment. Your admissions coordinator will send you this information before arrival.
- Keep an open mind as you move into your new environment.
- Remember we are all here to support one another and you shouldn’t be afraid to speak up in group sessions or during your 1 on 1 therapy sessions. This is a safe place and we are here to help you get better. There is no shame, guilt, or labeling here at Passages.
- Addiction treatment is a process so we do ask that you be patient because it can be challenging as you process several types of emotions and break down the barricades of your past traumas and current conditions.
- Surround yourself only with those who are supportive. What you need right now is all the love and support you can get from those who truly care about your wellbeing. This is YOUR time to heal and rediscover your life’s purpose. Step away from all the negative influences in your life and be prepared to build new friendships with others who are on a similar path as you are.
How to Contact Passages Addiction Treatment Centers:
Call Passages Addiction Treatment Centers today if you or a loved one is battling an addiction to drugs and/or alcohol. Our admissions department is available 24/7 and can be reached directly by calling our toll-free number at (888) 397-0112. We look forward to speaking with you soon.